Sunday, October 31, 2010

The day I sabotaged Andrew's proposal...

I have an insomnia problem. I got it from my mother. Of that I am CERTAIN. Most nights it's manageable, but when I have a lot on my mind it's almost impossible to sleep. Tonight, I have a lot on my mind, and thus a blog is born. So as it's 5 AM and I to my chagrin I am STILL awake, I thought I would throw down a few more memories before they disappear into the fog of forgetfulness.

Last March, Andrew and I took a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii. Technically, we were supposed to go with Erin and Jeremiah, but the wonder couple who had been together for a million years, broke up prior to our trip. I would have been mad, except that who could complain about spending a week in paradise alone with the person you love. So, it ended up being Andrew and I in Hawaii. By the time we left, we had solidified the fact that we were going to get married at some point in the near distant future. We'd even picked out the ring (and yes I mean WE not HE). I knew he had it, and I figured that he was just waiting for the perfect time in paradise to pop the question.

We had a perfect week. Lots of lying on the beach and relaxing. We visited the Dole pineapple plantation (twice actually). We spent some time at North Shore. We spent a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center and went to the luau and a show.  We ever spent a day driving around the whole island and stopping at random places. It was just what we needed. But after walks on the beach at sunset and lying on the beach and watching the stars, still no proposal.

So the day before we were to head home came, and what does Andrew want to do?? Hike all the way up freakin' Diamond Head. Not only was the heat uncomfortable in the middle of the day, but he wants to hike straight up a big giant freakin' mountain in it. Aside from that, I have a little asthma problem. It's no biggie. The only time it is EVER a problem is when I decide to hike straight up to the summits of mountains. I'm not kidding. And the ONLY time I ever hike up summits and have asthma attacks is when dear sweet Andrew FORCES me to. It's happened MORE THAN a couple times in the past...and as chance would have it, I hadn't brought my inhaler with me across the Pacific....  So....was I excited to hike up the gigantic mountain that towers over the island in the middle of a sweltering day, on what was to be our LAST day on the island WITH NO INHALER?? The day I had planned to relax and lay scantily clothed on the beach for the entire day??? No. No, I was NOT excited. Andrew knew that, and yet he persisted to convince me to climb the freakin' mountain. In my mind I knew that there was a chance my sweet boyfriend would become my fiance on top of that little mountain, and that was the reason I put on my hiking shoes and got in the car, trying to be a good sport, regardless of how loud I was screaming on the inside.

We got in the car, and Andrew put the car in reverse.... and that was the point where I snapped. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. Not even if chances were that that was where I would finally get my fiance after weeks of waiting. I just couldn't get my mind past the horrible reality that was climbing that freakin' mountain in the heat with no inhaler ON MY LAST DAY IN HAWAII!!! Instead, and to Andrew's disappointment, we spent the day on the beach, just where I had wanted to be all along. He's a good man. Really he is.

BUT I got what I deserved. The next day we left for reality. And my boyfriend went home my boyfriend. And he went home with my ring after a week of carrying it around the island. I deserved it. I know I deserved it. And I promised about 15 million times that the next time we go back I'll clime the freakin' mountain.

I've been thinking about this particular memory, because we just made plans for going back next August and I just know he's going to make me clime it. I JUST KNOW IT. Almost a year later, and I STILL don't want to, Guilt and all. But he's a good man so I'll do it. He's a good man, so he'll pack 2 extra inhalers just so I can't get out of it. I'll do it 'cuz I love him, but at no point did I say I won't complain about it painstakingly until next August AFTER we reach the top.

Here's some pictures from our trip that we didn't spend climbing Diamond Head.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! You found your new hobby! I'm glad that it was because of me that you fianlly started and just so you know, I read every word of all your posts! Thats alot of words, but it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cami... YEAH for you starting a blog!! And I'm sorry you sabotaged the proposal, but I don't blame you for wanting to lay on the beach.

    ReplyDelete